altitude and squawk never change

Questions about joining this site
modesfan

Re: altitude and squawk never change

Post by modesfan »

I never used planeplotter together with the livemodeslogger. But I can imagine that it works the way you described. If your station reports flights that it did not see, then maybe one can interpret this also as a kind of gift. As long as it is true data, live-mil-mode-s benefits from it.
I am not sure whether the windows client of ModeSLogger really needs planeplotter. Probably a dump1090 is sufficient. You can also connect to a Rpi sitting behind the window or under the roof via lan/wifi.
skaw

Post by skaw »

Yes, you are right!

I confused that with this thread: http://www.live-military-mode-s.eu/phpB ... f=3&t=2116

I didn't know about any alternatives at that time. My first setup was a netbook with planeplotter and the windows client. Then i switched to an RPi with modesmixer, ppup and alberts original Pi client but that didn't work out for me very well. Now i work with a tablet, modesmixer and your client.
Parallel i am running a VRS for testing and still Planeplotter for MLAT requests. Works fine so far.

EDIT: Okay..after setting up the actual system and being shown as linux based client again, my timestamps are -2h again.

My station at the bottom, nearby stations at the top. No way, a C-160 from Hohn needs 2 hours to get from my coverage area to the Hannover area.

But i think i could identify modesmixer as source of this problem. Theres a --localtime argument which i will can try although i am worried this fucks up the timestamps for everything else, because everything else works fine.

What time is shown at your cmd promt using your client? UTC or local?
modesfan

Post by modesfan »

My Rpi shows local time in console.

PC+Windows+Planeplotter is too much power consuming for 24/7.

Piaware also gives me MLAT but only locally. With default settings MLAT data is not relayed to modesfiltered.

My setup:
Rpi + RTL-SDR Dongle + GPS receiver for time sync
Raspbian Jessy running dump1090 (Piaware version) + Piaware + modesfiltered
modesfan

Post by modesfan »

Indeed the GAF162 reported 2016-05-22 05:09:30 looks a bit early compared to the report from Hannover station at 07:11:58.
Maybe you saw the plane doing an airfield traffic pattern before it finally turned to the Netherlands? Or you saw the approach and departure whereas the others saw only the latter?

Besides the stations's location you also have to take into account the flight direction, the sesitivity pattern of the antenna setup and the ban system. If a MSG was received, then this flight is blocked for a while. The "normal" java client has a two hour pattern. Every two hours the filter is cleared.

Today's reports for example of NITRO seem to be on time with Hannover.
skaw

Post by skaw »

Thx for the info with your timestamp in the console.

It was indeed the --localtime argument from modesmixer2.

From earlier setups with the windows client in conjunction with planeplotter i was used to be mostly synchron to Hannover. Its working as intended now, although i switched from modesmixer2 to Virtual Radar Server to distribute the Data for everything else.

Current and future setup is (with NTP for time):

Mode-S Beast ---> VIrtual Radar Server ---> parallel rebroadcasting to Planeplotter locally, modesfiltered and adsbexchange

everything i need at the moment!
Albert

Post by Albert »

Hi All,

I made some corrections on the website, so the latest altitude and squawk will be showed on the pages.

Albert
swiss_radar

Post by swiss_radar »

Albert wrote:Hi All,

I made some corrections on the website, so the latest altitude and squawk will be showed on the pages.

Albert
Hi Albert

Some (or maybe all) of the Raspberry feeders have no squawk and no altitude anymore. If you check the location Upper Wartau, CH or Timisoara, RO for example. The location Murten, CH which is not a Raspberry has squawk and altitude.
I am the owner of the Upper Wartau feeder and I changed nothing on my side. So the problem is probably a server side one.

Thanks
swiss_radar

Post by swiss_radar »

swiss_radar wrote:
Albert wrote:Hi All,

Albert
Hi Albert

Some (or maybe all) of the Raspberry feeders have no squawk and no altitude anymore. If you check the location Upper Wartau, CH or Timisoara, RO for example. The location Murten, CH which is not a Raspberry has squawk and altitude.
I am the owner of the Upper Wartau feeder and I changed nothing on my side. So the problem is probably a server side one.

Thanks
Albert, any news on this topic? Still no squawk and no altitude visible...