altitude and squawk never change

Questions about joining this site
Rongor

altitude and squawk never change

Post by Rongor »

Hi,
I just noticed that in the listings for my site http://www.live-military-mode-s.eu/Popu ... rlin,%20DE the altitude and squawk never change. All the flights allegedly share the same altitude and squawk, which - we all instantly can say - can't be true. They only change (once) after rebooting my RPi and than keep their first reported value. Observing the data output of dump1090 shows that my RPi correctly processes naturally different values for alt and squawk.
So I suspect the listing assembled on the project's server to handle my data wrong. Any other ideas?
modesfan

Re: altitude and squawk never change

Post by modesfan »

Hi Rongor,

it is not the listing or database it is the java program running on the RPi. I have observed this behaviour on my station too and analyzed the code. The fields altitude and squawk are not deleted after sending a MSG of type 6/7 or initialized to zero before decoding a new MSG from Dump1090. So if the next message does not include information about altitude or squawk the fields won't be overwritten and data will be sent as if the info has just been received. I have implemented a fix and since deploying it to my station on 22.04. it is fine.
I will distribute a new version of the java program that has also some enhancements in other topics. I just wanted to test it a couple of days.
Rongor

Post by Rongor »

Hey modesfan,
good to know there might be a solution. Unfortunately I am no way savvy enough to dig into the scriptings under the hood. So if you can tell me what to do or where to look, I will definitely try to implement that fix you found.

Shouldn't this issue affect all the RPi uploaders then? Could deserve a fix in Albert's installation guide/software too then...
modesfan

Post by modesfan »

Rongor, maybe you could help testing. Just download this version http://dfiles.eu/files/yi3uimnvx, install and try.
Rongor

Post by Rongor »

unfortunately your link leads to a site which is so ad heavy that I am unable to find a download link without being forced to sign up a trial gold subscription.
could you please upload again at https://mega.nz/ or some google hosting?
modesfan

Post by modesfan »

I have verified the link just now. It works as follows: first click regular download below right clock, than close the pop-up window with the cross in top right corner, wait for 5 seconds, than click 'i am not a robot', click the images that solve the question, click continue, click download file. You have to accept scripts from jscloud.org and ipowercdn.com .
bosgnoom

Post by bosgnoom »

@modesfan: I've taken the liberty to download and start your version also on my RPI. I've kept the whitelist and blacklist the same and added the variables.txt as described in the README. I'll keep it running, it looks good!
skaw

Post by skaw »

So on a windows system i could easily use this java version instead of alberts modeslogger?

Kommst du aus Deutschland?

Hatte mit der normalen RPi Version immer Probleme, weil er nach einiger Zeit aufhörte, zu funktionieren und Fehlermeldungen rausgab, die nur durch einen RPi Neustart behoben werden konnten. Außerdem war die Zeitzone irgendwie völlig im Arsch. Gibt hier auch einen Thread darüber, womöglich hattest du ähnliche oder gar dieselben Probleme? Nun bin ich mit nem Win10 Tablet unterwegs, aber ich werds dort mal testen, denke ich.
modesfan

Post by modesfan »

@bosgnoom: Thanks for testing. Please report any problems with the version.

@skaw: Yes you can use modesfiltered on any platform that has a Java RTE installed. The version is just a modification of the modeslogger. I did the coding on a Windows Vista machine.
I had no serious problems with the "normal" modeslogger. There were just a couple of points that I wanted to change: ip and port as command line parameter, filtering, correct time stamps in position markings on the map, increased update rate for high-value targets, the odd ban system.
skaw

Post by skaw »

Ah great, i'll give it a try for the next few days.

Another thing...The windwos client, which needs planeplotter (well..works with modesmixer2 too), gets the decoded data from planeplotter, right? I have a significant decreased amount of reports being shown on the live-military-mode-s site since i use modesmixer2 instead of planeplotter to decode the data for the client.

That could only be explained by the sharing settings in Planeplotter. Because i am using Upload/Download for MLATs, Planeplotter shows me aircrafts which are not detected by my receiver but others in the network. The windows client of modeslogger doens't know that of course which leads to much more aircrafts being reported to be (falsely) received by my receiver.